Tuesday, July 11, 2017

USA Africa Dialogue Series - Missing Abiola Irele

I will really miss Abiola Irele.

There are certain things one understands better only when it is too late, having blindly related to the world as if immortality was assured, and there would be enough time to do all that needs to be done.

He was one of my dedicated fans, though I  performed below expectation too many times, in the spirit of a person drunk on opportunity, the variety a haze blocking clarity of vision.

One might not understand what love is at times, until it is gone.

On the long journey of trying to understand who I really am, he gave me a lot of support, giving unqualified identification to  my choice of social media and self publishing online platforms as  primary scholarly publicisation systems, on the basis of which he offered me sterling opportunities in mainstream academic publication, some of which I was wise enough to make the most of.

I have never been completely at home with schooling and  academia  in their currently globally dominant sense, and Irele's appreciation of my efforts as I sought to find my own way has been  central fuel in that struggle.

He is a colossus, yet always appreciative of any effort one makes to highlight his inimitable radiance.

Something important is gone from my life.What flows in to occupy the void thus created?

The memory of the coruscation of power that is the master. The foregrounding of the abyss against which one must measure oneself.

I have so much I want to share with you. Work already done which I saw myself as too occupied to share. Work in progress which is likely to delight him. That attentive ear is gone from the space we long shared.

toyin

--
Listserv moderated by Toyin Falola, University of Texas at Austin
To post to this group, send an email to USAAfricaDialogue@googlegroups.com
To subscribe to this group, send an email to USAAfricaDialogue+subscribe@googlegroups.com
Current archives at http://groups.google.com/group/USAAfricaDialogue
Early archives at http://www.utexas.edu/conferences/africa/ads/index.html
---
You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups "USA Africa Dialogue Series" group.
To unsubscribe from this group and stop receiving emails from it, send an email to usaafricadialogue+unsubscribe@googlegroups.com.
For more options, visit https://groups.google.com/d/optout.

No comments:

Post a Comment

 
Vida de bombeiro Recipes Informatica Humor Jokes Mensagens Curiosity Saude Video Games Car Blog Animals Diario das Mensagens Eletronica Rei Jesus News Noticias da TV Artesanato Esportes Noticias Atuais Games Pets Career Religion Recreation Business Education Autos Academics Style Television Programming Motosport Humor News The Games Home Downs World News Internet Car Design Entertaimment Celebrities 1001 Games Doctor Pets Net Downs World Enter Jesus Variedade Mensagensr Android Rub Letras Dialogue cosmetics Genexus Car net Só Humor Curiosity Gifs Medical Female American Health Madeira Designer PPS Divertidas Estate Travel Estate Writing Computer Matilde Ocultos Matilde futebolcomnoticias girassol lettheworldturn topdigitalnet Bem amado enjohnny produceideas foodasticos cronicasdoimaginario downloadsdegraca compactandoletras newcuriosidades blogdoarmario arrozinhoii sonasol halfbakedtaters make-it-plain amatha