"Debenhams' Oxford Street branch has put up signs in Hausa, one of the official Nigerian languages, and said customers from this part of West Africa are its biggest overseas spenders. Yet Osomo says it's not just rich Nigerians who come over. "Middle-class people can afford to come and spend £600 on shopping in a week here. What I like about the UK is that it doesn't discriminate. As long as you're able to prove you have an income, accommodation in London and a return ticket, the authorities are more than willing to give you a visa. It's closer than America and the customer service here is phenomenal."
Back home in Lagos, the technology market has been flooded with fake products from China, which means more people are coming to London for electronic goods and are even taking items back to sell. "No one wants to spend more than 100,000 naira (£390) and find out it is fake, so they prefer to come over for a holiday and buy something they know is real and has a guarantee in case something goes wrong."
Marks & Spencer is one of Osomo's favourite shops. "I love their fajitas. You can't get them in Nigeria. I also buy soy sauce and Thai green curry paste, which is good because it lasts for a long time. Oh, and Crunchy Nut cereal, Skittles, Maltesers and tea. There's nothing like a British cuppa. I get Lipton, PG and green tea." She likes the variety of London. "I love Zara, H&M, Topshop. But if I want something more high end, there's Sloane Street.""
- Ikhide
Stalk my blog at www.xokigbo.com
Follow me on Twitter: @ikhide
Join me on Facebook: www.facebook.com/ikhide
No comments:
Post a Comment