Tuesday, November 5, 2013

USA Africa Dialogue Series - Fwd: racism and homophobia in Russia--smth needs to be done



Sent from my iPad

Begin forwarded message:

From: Maxim Matusevich <Maxim.Matusevich@shu.edu>
Date: November 5, 2013, 4:05:58 PM CST
To: Undisclosed recipients:;
Subject: racism and homophobia in Russia--smth needs to be done

Dear friends,

 

I rarely if ever indulge in mass emails. However, I am making an exception in this case out of a deepening and increasingly grave concern over the spread of racism and homophobia in Russia. Here is a link to today’s buzzfeed story about sickening abuse recently perpetrated by a gang of neo-Nazis against a black South African student in Belgorod (Russia): http://www.buzzfeed.com/maxseddon/russian-anti-lgbt-activists-humiliate-black-south-african-st  

 

Even though for days now the perpetrators have been boasting online about their exploits they have not been punished. The victim appears to have been expelled from the university he attended as a foreign student in Russia.

 

Alas, this outrage is not an isolated or exceptional case, quite to the contrary. It is hard to read/watch but more people need to be informed about the unfolding crisis of civil society in Russia, about an unchecked spread of brutality, about the most atavistic prejudice becoming the rule (literally in some instances) of the land.

 

I’m not sure if more international pressure brought to bear on the Russian leadership can and/or will produce the desired effect. But there is no hurt in trying. History shows that repressive and abusive regimes sometimes respond to outside pressure.

 

In any event, as much as I hate making people watch this disturbing material, I believe this is the least I can do.

 

Please, circulate the link. I would particularly request help from those of you with significant twitter following.

 

Sincerely,

 

Maxim Matusevich

No comments:

Post a Comment

 
Vida de bombeiro Recipes Informatica Humor Jokes Mensagens Curiosity Saude Video Games Car Blog Animals Diario das Mensagens Eletronica Rei Jesus News Noticias da TV Artesanato Esportes Noticias Atuais Games Pets Career Religion Recreation Business Education Autos Academics Style Television Programming Motosport Humor News The Games Home Downs World News Internet Car Design Entertaimment Celebrities 1001 Games Doctor Pets Net Downs World Enter Jesus Variedade Mensagensr Android Rub Letras Dialogue cosmetics Genexus Car net Só Humor Curiosity Gifs Medical Female American Health Madeira Designer PPS Divertidas Estate Travel Estate Writing Computer Matilde Ocultos Matilde futebolcomnoticias girassol lettheworldturn topdigitalnet Bem amado enjohnny produceideas foodasticos cronicasdoimaginario downloadsdegraca compactandoletras newcuriosidades blogdoarmario arrozinhoii sonasol halfbakedtaters make-it-plain amatha