"While people despair about an alleged lack of a reading culture, I see opportunities, especially for the literature of Black Africa. What is the implication of all that for thinkers and writers? Rather than bemoaning the way things are, you must ask why things are the way they are. And do something about it. Specifically, if African writers really want to engage readers, they should meet them at the junction where they are. Yes, ideas live, the medium changes. How many people still travel to London from Lagos in ships? The vehicle has changed. Our writers insist on porting their sometimes great ideas towards print when the reading audience's eyes are glued to the Internet. I think also that the internet has been great for the stories of Africa. Let me say it: The best books of African fiction today are the internet and Facebook. If you want to read really good stories unfiltered by Western editors, featuring awesome dialogue that is unstilted and not self-conscious, go to social media. The internet does not italicise egusi. I love it."
http://www.thisdaylive.com/articles/the-literary-humorist/163887/
No comments:
Post a Comment