Tuesday, December 9, 2014

USA Africa Dialogue Series - RE: The Long-Time Assistant & Friend to Professor Ali A. Mazrui Paid Tribute to Him on 12/06/204

A Tribute to Ali A. Mazrui*

by Seifudein Adem, Binghamton University, NY,

Saturday, December 6, 2014

   *******************************************************************

 *The tribute below was delivered by Dr. Seifudein Adem (the long-term Assistant and friend) in honor of Professor (Mwalimu) Ali A. Mazrui, at the December 6, 2014 memorial service held at Binghamton University honoring the memory of Dr. Mazrui, which was attended by our own "Sir" Toyin Falola, as one of not less than 200 scholars and family members at the event. "Sir" Toyin also delivered a moving tribute that he will, hopefully, share with all of us soon. 

*********************************************************************************************

 

 

I am pleased to speak on this occasion of celebration of the life of an extraordinary scholar.  I would like to share with you a couple of anecdotes about Mazrui's love of writing, his view of power, and our relationship.

 

We all know Mazrui was a prolific writer, but perhaps few of us knew why he loved to write.  The reason, as he told us in 1974, included the following:

 

I want somebody else to know what occurs to my mind, to my being.  This is why I write at all, why I write so much, why I write on such varied subjects.

 

Mazrui traveled a lot.  He also almost never came to campus even when he was in town unless he has a class, a meeting, or a special appointment.  In addition to my weekly conversations with him in his house in Vestal, where we discussed current affairs and official business, Mazrui often communicated with me and our other staff through the fax machine.  Therefore, I have at my disposal more than 5000 pages of hand-written correspondence with him, another testimony, I think, to Mazrui's love of writing.

 

What was Mazrui's most favorite quotation?  Well, it was from a book by his mentor at Oxford:

 

"The sins of the powerful acquire some of the prestige of power."

 

How did I know this?  Simple—he used it more frequently than any other one in his writings.  In my view, the fact that this was his most favorite quotation meant: #1) he understood well the nature of power; and, consequently #2) he had not only the capacity to easily navigate through the corridors of power but also the willingness to resist the temptation to distort facts for political purposes.  So let me repeat the quote: THE SINS OF THE POWERFUL ACQUIRE SOME OF THE PRESTIGE OF POWER. 

 

Let me share now an excerpt from a letter, I wrote to Mazrui one month before he was hospitalized last year.  I was trying to draw up the balance sheet of my association with him.

 

In the past eight years, you have given me the opportunity to work with you closely, allowing me to explore different areas of inquiry.  But your vast scholarship, too, has been a stimulating research project for me.  Consider, for example, my two books which were published in 2013, and the other two, which are forthcoming before end of the year.  These books are either about you, or are co-authored with you, or have in them a chapter by you—a clear evidence of the fruitfulness and maturity of our intellectual partnership.

 

Even after his death, Mazrui continues to inspire me.  On October 24, 2014, The New York Times published Mazrui's obituary by Douglas Martin titled "Ali Mazrui, Scholar of Africa, Who Divided U.S. Audiences, Dies at 81". 

 

When I saw a factual error in the obituary, I did what I thought Mazrui would have done under the circumstances.  First, I told myself: even if The New York Times is entitled to its own opinion, it is not entitled to its own facts.  Then, I wrote directly to the editors about the factual error.  In return, I received a note of appreciation from the prestigious newspaper. My correction was also appended, almost word for word, to the story on the same day.  

In closing, let me ask myself, how will I remember Ali Mazrui?  I will remember Mazrui as a man who best exemplified the human potential, to stimulate and please the mind, more than any other person I have ever known.  Rest in peace, Professor.

 

(Seifudein Adem, December 6, 2014)

 

 

No comments:

Post a Comment

 
Vida de bombeiro Recipes Informatica Humor Jokes Mensagens Curiosity Saude Video Games Car Blog Animals Diario das Mensagens Eletronica Rei Jesus News Noticias da TV Artesanato Esportes Noticias Atuais Games Pets Career Religion Recreation Business Education Autos Academics Style Television Programming Motosport Humor News The Games Home Downs World News Internet Car Design Entertaimment Celebrities 1001 Games Doctor Pets Net Downs World Enter Jesus Variedade Mensagensr Android Rub Letras Dialogue cosmetics Genexus Car net Só Humor Curiosity Gifs Medical Female American Health Madeira Designer PPS Divertidas Estate Travel Estate Writing Computer Matilde Ocultos Matilde futebolcomnoticias girassol lettheworldturn topdigitalnet Bem amado enjohnny produceideas foodasticos cronicasdoimaginario downloadsdegraca compactandoletras newcuriosidades blogdoarmario arrozinhoii sonasol halfbakedtaters make-it-plain amatha