( I'm a little cautious about magic, considering the first part of Aleister Crowley's / takes on magic , his definition of magic as "the Science and Art of causing Change to occur in conformity with Will"
...
My friends final word on magic : "It is not a question of forbidding anything. It is simply unimportant - a waste of time - compared to the main thing : feeling the presence of the divine within you."
Divergence and Convergence of Magic and Mysticism in the Western Esoteric Tradition
An absolute distinction between magic and mysticism, the latter described in those lines as finding the divine Self within one, would not exist if one were to better understand the scope of magic, in the Western tradition, to which Crowley is central, and in Tibetan Buddhism and Tantric Hinduism, to mention spiritual traditions of related aims and methods.
Crowley as Mystical Magician
"The most merciful thing in the world, I think, is the inability of the human mind to correlate all its contents. We live on a placid island of ignorance in the midst of black seas of infinity, and it was not meant that we should voyage far. The sciences, each straining in its own direction, have hitherto harmed us little; but some day the piecing together of dissociated knowledge will open up such terrifying vistas of reality, and of our frightful position therein, that we shall either go mad from the revelation or flee from the deadly light into the peace and safety of a new dark age.
Theosophists have guessed at the awesome grandeur of the cosmic cycle wherein our world and human race form transient incidents. They have hinted at strange survivals in terms which would freeze the blood if not masked by a bland optimism. But it is not from them that there came the single glimpse of forbidden aeons which chills me when I think of it and maddens me when I dream of it. That glimpse, like all dread glimpses of truth, flashed out from an accidental piecing together of separated things—in this case an old newspaper item and the notes of a dead professor. I hope that no one else will accomplish this piecing out; certainly, if I live, I shall never knowingly supply a link in so hideous a chain. I think that the professor, too, intended to keep silent regarding the part he knew, and that he would have destroyed his notes had not sudden death seized him".
Dragon Rouge valorises knowledge depicted in such terms representing the shattering of the certitudes of conventional mysticism, though not necessarily literally in terms of how Lovecraft works out his vision in his stories.
--I had always thought that " Kushi" was interchangeable with "Nigger"
Bearing in mid this phase of the discussion about NIGERIA'S LITERATE ZOMBIES :
"Reduced to its essentials racism is one person or people using their power and privilege to deny or recognise the full humanity of another person or people because of a feeling of inherent superiority rationalised by religion, culture or even pseudoscience." Zalanga
Good try- but you have to add another component in your definition: the physical,
"biological" component. In Apartheid South Africa you could have the same religion and culture but your skin colour and physical appearance determined whether or not you would be included in the club. That history is too recent to be falsified and forgotten. In the US segregation also followed that line. It still applies to some extent. Ethno- regionalism is discriminatory, and should not be tolerated, but it is not synonymous with racism. ( Professor Gloria Emeagwali, Professor of History)
# Chief Rabbi of Israel refers to Black people as monkeys
This is a very serious matter and should be taken seriously by
We the people who are darker than blue . I am being very kind here and not at all aggressive ( like HAMAS or Islamic Jihad) ; I could have approached the whole matter very differently. In any case, I have now taken a few steps closer to Baba Kadiri's position about religion, especially organised religion , tempered by what a dear friend ( Jewish) wrote to me recently, about Jörgen I Eriksson's book review of which he said,
" Like Rabbi Abulafia, I am against the practice of magic. I think man's first duty is to find his divine Self, in silent meditation, without trying to grasp anything. Just be, watch inside and feel. No books are needed for that, no rituals, no dogmas" To which I replied, " Yes indeed, magic is strictly forbidden."
( I'm a little cautious about magic, considering the first part of Aleister Crowley's / takes on magic , his definition of magic as "the Science and Art of causing Change to occur in conformity with Will" for which reason I have never said the 12th Blessing of the Amidah with total intentionality of the heart because I don't know which of my near and dear including my own dear self, could fit in to that category. The 12th Blessing goes, " As for the slanderers, let there be no hope, and may all wickedness perish in an instant, and may all Your enemies be cut down speedily, the wanton sinners, may you speedily uproot, smash , cut down and humble, speedily in our days, Blessed are You HASHEM, Who breaks enemies and humbles wanton sinners." ( As to will, I remember listening to Guru Maharaji in Copenhagen in 1973 , in semi-deep meditation , but his voice was droning on and at a certain point my irritation increased and eventually a bolt lightning flashed from my forehead and temporarily stopped him in his tracks ( I think that he just took some of that my energy ( smile)
My friends final word on magic : "It is not a question of forbidding anything. It is simply unimportant - a waste of time - compared to the main thing : feeling the presence of the divine within you." Well, well well, some people ( I suppose all the rabbis included) have been stationed there for quite a while , even while doing a lot of wrongs
The Sephardi chief rabbi of Israel who ought to know better, referring to Black People as "monkeys" is an insult and a matter of great concern to any Black People who would otherwise take him seriously, not just the Black politicians, from South Africa, through Nigeria to Libya from the United States to China. Does this not just give more grist to the mill of those who talk about an "apartheid Israel"? Do such disgusting and wholly unhelpful words not increase racism and antisemitism in the world ? For just a moment, imagine the kinds of fireworks you would hear from all quarters, if (God forbid) His Holiness the Pope ( Francis) or the Archbishop of Canterbury, or the Supreme Leader of Iran (God double forbid) or the Mufti of Mecca or the King of Saudi Arabia were to say such a terrible thing?
Well, here is the very last sermon of the prophet of Islam : in which he said,
"All mankind is from Adam and Eve, an Arab has no superiority over a non-Arab nor a non-Arab has any superiority over an Arab; also a white has no superiority over black nor does a black have any superiority over a white except by piety and good action."
Yes, I know all about Kiddush Hashem, but the chief rabbi's remarks leads even the heathen to ask, " Is the God of Abraham, Isaac and Jacob a racist?" Many people are aghast at the rabbi's remarks, are still reeling in shock and wondering, is that what his GOD , the creator of Adam and Eve told him, that Black people are "monkeys", or is this a man- made judgement to be found in his holy books, the Torah and Talmud? Is the chief rabbi a monkey or a human being? Am I a monkey?
During the much demented and regretted and regrettable Shoah/ Holocaust, people (the suffering servant of Isaiah 53) were identified and then dragged to the gas ovens to be crucified, en masse. The emphasis is PEOPLE , not animals...
Was it not King Solomon (who built the temple) that said in his Song of Songs, "I am black and beautiful, O daughters of Jerusalem ?
השְׁחוֹרָ֤ה אֲנִי֙ וְֽנָאוָ֔ה בְּנ֖וֹת יְרֽוּשָׁלָ֑יִם כְּאָֽהֳלֵ֣
קֵדָ֔ר כִּֽירִיע֖וֹת שְׁלֹמֹֽה:
"I am black but comely, O daughters of Jerusalem! Like the tents of Kedar, like the curtains of Solomon."
אַל־תִּרְאֻ֨נִי֙ שֶֽׁאֲנִ֣י שְׁחַרְחֹ֔רֶת שֶׁשְּׁזָפַ֖תְנִי
הַשָּׁ֑מֶשׁ בְּנֵ֧י אִמִּ֣י נִֽחֲרוּ־בִ֗י שָׂמֻ֨נִי֙ נֹֽטֵרָ֣ה
אֶת־הַכְּרָמִ֔ים כַּרְמִ֥י שֶׁלִּ֖י לֹ֥א נָטָֽרְתִּי:
"Do not look upon me [disdainfully] because I am swarthy, for the sun has gazed upon me; my mother's sons were incensed against me; they made me a keeper of the vineyards; my own vineyard I did not keep."
https://www.chabad.org/
library/bible_cdo/aid/16445 Victor Jara : El Arado ( in Spanish ) Nice lyrics about being black
Cornelis Vreeswijk : Plogen ( in Swedish), ditto
Listserv moderated by Toyin Falola, University of Texas at Austin
To post to this group, send an email to USAAfricaDialogue@googlegroups.com
To subscribe to this group, send an email to USAAfricaDialogue+subscribe@googlegroups.com
Current archives at http://groups.google.com/group/USAAfricaDialogue
Early archives at http://www.utexas.edu/conferences/africa/ads/index. html
---
You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups "USA Africa Dialogue Series" group.
To unsubscribe from this group and stop receiving emails from it, send an email to usaafricadialogue+unsubscribe@googlegroups.com .
For more options, visit https://groups.google.com/d/optout .
Listserv moderated by Toyin Falola, University of Texas at Austin
To post to this group, send an email to USAAfricaDialogue@googlegroups.com
To subscribe to this group, send an email to USAAfricaDialogue+subscribe@googlegroups.com
Current archives at http://groups.google.com/group/USAAfricaDialogue
Early archives at http://www.utexas.edu/conferences/africa/ads/index.html
---
You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups "USA Africa Dialogue Series" group.
To unsubscribe from this group and stop receiving emails from it, send an email to usaafricadialogue+unsubscribe@googlegroups.com.
For more options, visit https://groups.google.com/d/optout.
No comments:
Post a Comment