Tuesday, December 31, 2019

Re: USA Africa Dialogue Series - Greetings from Ama Ata Aido, via Akwasi

WOW
Great thanks

On Tue, 31 Dec 2019 at 21:43, Toyin Falola <toyinfalola@austin.utexas.edu> wrote:

 

 

 

From: Akwasi Aidoo <akwasi.aidoo@gmail.com>
Date: Tuesday, December 31, 2019 at 11:44 AM
To: Akwasi Aidoo <akwasi.aidoo@gmail.com>
Cc: Prof Ama Ata Aidoo <aaaidoo77@gmail.com>
Subject: The Best of the Year & Beyond (from Ama Ata)

 

Dear Friends & Colleagues,

 

Whew!  2020 is on its way and arriving soon…. What a delight to welcome the New Year with a 20-20 vision (smile).

 

I woke up yesterday even more delighted when I received a gift of resonant year-end poem from my elder sister Ama Ata Aidoo, the iconic global novelist, poet, playwright and academic. She adopted me as her younger brother years after I first read her first book, The Dilemma of a Ghost (1965) – I couldn't stop re-reading the book year after year, and told her that (smile). She always calls me, Mo Nua Akwasi (A million thanks, Mo Nua Panyin Ama Ata!!!).

 

The poem that Ama Ata sent me yesterday spoke so many things to me, but I will mention only a few (for now):

 

*First, it highlights for me the benefits of hearing/listening to our inner self and the truth-bearing "spirit" in us.

 

*Second, it shows that memories of those we love can play a key role in replenishing our mental and emotional health.

 

*Third, it speaks to the unequalled gifts of nature to us.

 

*Fourth, it has a distinct sub-text of the imperative of courage in addressing the externally-imposed challenges we often have to address.

 

*Fifth, it brings home to me the fact that words matter as much as actions (and more than we often think).

 

*Sixth, that our shared humanity is the essence of who we really are (the Ubuntu idea).

 

Hence, overall, the poem highlights for me the values of human agency, gentle and compassionate wording, dignity, and togetherness – especially in these times market by hardened nativism, exclusion and discrimination parading as patriotism.

 

If you haven't read any of Ama Ata's many great books, then please include them in your 2020 annual resolution (and reading any of them will turn you away from becoming a passive "Resolutionary." LOL).

 

Here's the poem, which Ama Ata has very kindly permitted me to share with you all.  Enjoy! (followed by something you will enjoy as well).

 

AN ANSWER TO A QUESTION AT 8.30 ONE EVENING.

– For the Birds Outside my Window at 5 O'clock in the morning. (Or BIRDS III)

By Ama Ata Aidoo

…………………………………………..

 

If they should ask me

Again

What I miss most in this life,

I promise I shall 

Not fall apart again

Unsure of myself

Tiny tears 

Like sandy silver droplets on my eyelids.

 

 Like when Teacher chose me to answer 

The first question in our new class. 

Me opening my mouth 

To say the first thing in my mind that

they wanted to hear.

 

Sometimes it was even in a new classroom 

The aroma of new paint, new books and uniforms.

 

No.

Should they trigger me again,

I shall not betray me or you.

I shall plant my feet firmly on the ground

Legs and arms akimbo,

Demand they take the "most" out. 

Completely out.

 

My friends,

Here on this small planet,

What I miss is everyone and everything.

My Mother the Never-Lettered Genius,

My Father the Intrepid,

My Daughter, and she should know why…

Dear friends and other family,

Still around or passed on

Who says I can't even miss the unborn?

 

The sea whom I never tire of.

 

The small mountains and their atolls

The Great Lakes and their Rift Valleys

A square flat black rock 

Baking in a noon tropical sun

Washed by a cool singing stream 

 

Ow, and the wildest grapes sweet wizened sweet.

Then the rivers. the rivers, the rivers…

 

… and you all singing outside my window.

 

Finally, here's a link to the oldie, Auld Lang Syne (check out the old Scots-language lyrics): https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5mCWIsmSFN8

 

With Peace & Love,

 

Akwasi

--
Listserv moderated by Toyin Falola, University of Texas at Austin
To post to this group, send an email to USAAfricaDialogue@googlegroups.com
To subscribe to this group, send an email to USAAfricaDialogue+subscribe@googlegroups.com
Current archives at http://groups.google.com/group/USAAfricaDialogue
Early archives at http://www.utexas.edu/conferences/africa/ads/index.html
---
You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups "USA Africa Dialogue Series" group.
To unsubscribe from this group and stop receiving emails from it, send an email to usaafricadialogue+unsubscribe@googlegroups.com.
To view this discussion on the web visit https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/usaafricadialogue/C0297571-CC76-40D5-92D9-9112438657F2%40austin.utexas.edu.

--
Listserv moderated by Toyin Falola, University of Texas at Austin
To post to this group, send an email to USAAfricaDialogue@googlegroups.com
To subscribe to this group, send an email to USAAfricaDialogue+subscribe@googlegroups.com
Current archives at http://groups.google.com/group/USAAfricaDialogue
Early archives at http://www.utexas.edu/conferences/africa/ads/index.html
---
You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups "USA Africa Dialogue Series" group.
To unsubscribe from this group and stop receiving emails from it, send an email to usaafricadialogue+unsubscribe@googlegroups.com.
To view this discussion on the web visit https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/usaafricadialogue/CALUsqTS8gTjyY3wjW%3DXcSYpZVCqKMqQpTtXSYiTwMy2tTBwJ7A%40mail.gmail.com.

No comments:

Post a Comment

 
Vida de bombeiro Recipes Informatica Humor Jokes Mensagens Curiosity Saude Video Games Car Blog Animals Diario das Mensagens Eletronica Rei Jesus News Noticias da TV Artesanato Esportes Noticias Atuais Games Pets Career Religion Recreation Business Education Autos Academics Style Television Programming Motosport Humor News The Games Home Downs World News Internet Car Design Entertaimment Celebrities 1001 Games Doctor Pets Net Downs World Enter Jesus Variedade Mensagensr Android Rub Letras Dialogue cosmetics Genexus Car net Só Humor Curiosity Gifs Medical Female American Health Madeira Designer PPS Divertidas Estate Travel Estate Writing Computer Matilde Ocultos Matilde futebolcomnoticias girassol lettheworldturn topdigitalnet Bem amado enjohnny produceideas foodasticos cronicasdoimaginario downloadsdegraca compactandoletras newcuriosidades blogdoarmario arrozinhoii sonasol halfbakedtaters make-it-plain amatha