Saturday, February 19, 2011

USA Africa Dialogue Series - The gift of space and time

The gift of space and time

Print print Email email Share Share



The two current residents of Ebedi International Writers Residency, Igoni Barrett and Emmanuel Ugokwe, have lauded the programme, which holds in Iseyin, Oyo State.

Initiated last year by Wale Okediran, a former president of the Association of Nigerian Authors (ANA), the residency aims to provide writers with a serene and conducive environment to complete ongoing literary works.

Four writers have so far enjoyed the facility following its inauguration last September. Abiodun Adebiyi and Lola Okusami were the pioneer residents, while Charles Oluyori-Ack and Kenechukwu Obi were the second set.

Space to write

Speaking during an interaction with reporters, Barrett, author of 'From Caves of Rotten Teeth' said of the residency, "It's a programme I have been talking about myself. My grandfather has a house in Abonema where I'm from. Two years after he built it, he died. The house has been empty for over 30 years but after my debacle with Silverbird, my next project was to go and turn the house into a retreat. I wanted the space to write and I said if I want to write and I don't have a job, something has to pay for me to write. So, I thought if I set up the fellowship, at least other writers can come, we can find sponsorship. When I went to the house and saw the amount of renovation, I gave up.

"When I heard that this has started, I said: great. Let me come and see how well it is run and at the same time work on my book and support the project because that's one thing that never happens in this country. Very rarely do individuals give back to society by just saying artists should come, sit down, and for no vested interest, just do your work. I'm really pleased with that."

Positively surprised

The former editor at Farafina, who is working on his second collection of short stories in Ebedi, also spoke of his experience in the quiet agrarian town.

"I've enjoyed my stay here. And the most important thing which I was looking for, coming to Iseyin, was basically the space to write. I hoped to get the space to write and the freedom to write and I got that, so it's been a good experience. As many people know, I don't have a job anymore. I'm a full time writer. I just got back from Kenya in December from Chinua Achebe fellowship there. I spent six months. Before I went, I gave up my house in Lagos, then I came back in December and I've been squatting with a friend. So, this is another place to squat."

One of the conditions attached to the residency is that participating writers work with students in Iseyin. Asked what he has been doing with the students, Barrett disclosed that he has concentrated on improving their reading skills. "If we don't get writers out of them we will get readers. I came with a pile of books and gave them out. That's what we are working on. They go home and read but some of them have surprised me a lot with their performance skills."

The writer who added that he has not encountered any challenges so far, disclosed what he will be taking back to Lagos when the programme ends in a week's time. "It is the fulfilment of coming here and achieving what I came to achieve. If I had come here and it hadn't been as I expected it to be, I would have been complaining. But so far, it's been everything I expected it to be and more. In a country where we are used to disappointments, it's good to once in a while be positively surprised.

Wonderful experience

Ugokwe, who also commended the initiative, described his experience in the house as "wonderful". He added that the residency is "one of the best things happening in Nigerian literary scene now."

However, it hasn't been a bed of roses for the Combined Social Sciences student of the University of Nigeria (UNN), Nsukka. Being his first time in the South West, he initially had problems communicating with indigenes of Iseyin but he is getting along now.

Ugokwe, who is working on an Igbo language play, 'Agha Bie' (When the War Ends) and two other novels, also disclosed why he is interested in the Civil War. "The message is that the upcoming generation shouldn't do anything that will make us experience war again."


Igoni Barrett and Emmanuel Igokwe will be at the Ebedi Writers Residency until 26 February.



No comments:

Post a Comment

 
Vida de bombeiro Recipes Informatica Humor Jokes Mensagens Curiosity Saude Video Games Car Blog Animals Diario das Mensagens Eletronica Rei Jesus News Noticias da TV Artesanato Esportes Noticias Atuais Games Pets Career Religion Recreation Business Education Autos Academics Style Television Programming Motosport Humor News The Games Home Downs World News Internet Car Design Entertaimment Celebrities 1001 Games Doctor Pets Net Downs World Enter Jesus Variedade Mensagensr Android Rub Letras Dialogue cosmetics Genexus Car net Só Humor Curiosity Gifs Medical Female American Health Madeira Designer PPS Divertidas Estate Travel Estate Writing Computer Matilde Ocultos Matilde futebolcomnoticias girassol lettheworldturn topdigitalnet Bem amado enjohnny produceideas foodasticos cronicasdoimaginario downloadsdegraca compactandoletras newcuriosidades blogdoarmario arrozinhoii sonasol halfbakedtaters make-it-plain amatha