Hello USAAfrica,
Any ideas, sources for this H-World query?
John Maunu
Grosse Ile, Michigan
AP/College Board World History consultant
I was reading a while ago, I believe in Julia Clancy-Smith and Frances
Gouda, eds., Domesticating the Empire, about how by the latter 19th C
European women traveling to the colonies in Asia were admonished in travel
books to wear "caps, dark glasses, veils, parasols, and gloves" as a way to
distance themselves from colonial servants, etc. and ironically and
conversely at the same time in Paris at least "colonial parties" were the
rage in which women dressed up in "colonial dress."
I have been looking for images of this kind of dress for a project I am
working on but have had no luck. Any suggestions on where to search? Other
readings that would address this issue of colonial dress either in Africa or
Asia?
Thanks in advance.
You received this message because you are subscribed to the "USA-Africa Dialogue Series" moderated by Toyin Falola, University of Texas at Austin.
For current archives, visit http://groups.google.com/group/USAAfricaDialogue
For previous archives, visit http://www.utexas.edu/conferences/africa/ads/index.html
To post to this group, send an email to USAAfricaDialogue@googlegroups.com
To unsubscribe from this group, send an email to USAAfricaDialogue-
unsubscribe@googlegroups.com
No comments:
Post a Comment