Saturday, April 1, 2017

USA Africa Dialogue Series - retirement lecture

From the Department of Well in Advance Warnings, to all of my friends out there on the USA Africa Dialogue group:


As some of you may know, I'm facing mandatory retirement in a year.


It's possible to give a "last lecture" here. Some do, some don't.


I was thinking of passing because not only am I not sure what I'd say, but also I'm not sure anyone would show up. Some of our superstar professors such as Victor Carpenter and Tadashi Tanno have had large turnouts from off campus. But I don't have their networks, either locally or nationally.


However, at our end of school year dinner and drinking party the dean said he was ordering me to give a lecture. I have no idea what to talk about so I'm asking for suggestions here. Of course the content of a lecture depends on its audience, so your suggestions are most welcome.


I'm also asking any of you who've ever thought about visiting me while I'm working in Japan to think about coming in March 2018, your last chance, probably in the middle of the month sometime, for a little moral support. 


I can't give you any money, of course, but I can help you find a reasonable place to stay, and show you around, introducing you to a really beautiful part of Japan.


I hope to see as many of you as possible then.


your friend,





John Edward Philips  <http://human.cc.hirosaki-u.ac.jp/philips/>
International Society, College of Humanities, Hirosaki University
"Homo sum; humani nihil a me alienum puto." -Terentius Afer
<http://newworldafricanpress.com/books/000026.htm>


--
Listserv moderated by Toyin Falola, University of Texas at Austin
To post to this group, send an email to USAAfricaDialogue@googlegroups.com
To subscribe to this group, send an email to USAAfricaDialogue+subscribe@googlegroups.com
Current archives at http://groups.google.com/group/USAAfricaDialogue
Early archives at http://www.utexas.edu/conferences/africa/ads/index.html
---
You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups "USA Africa Dialogue Series" group.
To unsubscribe from this group and stop receiving emails from it, send an email to usaafricadialogue+unsubscribe@googlegroups.com.
For more options, visit https://groups.google.com/d/optout.

No comments:

Post a Comment

 
Vida de bombeiro Recipes Informatica Humor Jokes Mensagens Curiosity Saude Video Games Car Blog Animals Diario das Mensagens Eletronica Rei Jesus News Noticias da TV Artesanato Esportes Noticias Atuais Games Pets Career Religion Recreation Business Education Autos Academics Style Television Programming Motosport Humor News The Games Home Downs World News Internet Car Design Entertaimment Celebrities 1001 Games Doctor Pets Net Downs World Enter Jesus Variedade Mensagensr Android Rub Letras Dialogue cosmetics Genexus Car net Só Humor Curiosity Gifs Medical Female American Health Madeira Designer PPS Divertidas Estate Travel Estate Writing Computer Matilde Ocultos Matilde futebolcomnoticias girassol lettheworldturn topdigitalnet Bem amado enjohnny produceideas foodasticos cronicasdoimaginario downloadsdegraca compactandoletras newcuriosidades blogdoarmario arrozinhoii sonasol halfbakedtaters make-it-plain amatha