Wednesday, November 1, 2017

USA Africa Dialogue Series - MY FELA AND GUEVARA POEMS

  

 

MY FELA AND GUEVARA POEMS

 

 

By

 

Odia Ofeimun

 

I will give Obi Nwakanma the best palmwine from my favorite Freedom Park joint when next he is in Lagos. Not for his usually contused politics, recently mellowed, of Igbo irredentism that is gradually beginning to concede that the homeland is as much across the rest of the country as in the village republics of Ndigbo. No.  The palmwine is to celebrate his criticism of my Fela and Guevara poems that, on a whim, I decided to make available to everybody; although they were for  two friends participating in the recent Felabrations and the Guevara celebrations of recent weeks.

 

The first of the Fela poems was written before I was twenty years old and published in The Poet Lied. In 1980. The last was written after Fela took "the bitter leaf of his song to his soup-maker". There is nothing esoteric or archaic about bitter leaf. It is a daily staple called black soup in many Nigerian hometowns. It is called onugbu in Obi Nwakanma's village. It has the curative power of bitter kola; not like kolanut which some may cuddle  because it gives you an immediate 'high'. Would the  poet and critic have preferred that I litter the poems with endnotes? It would have been too bemusing for people who take pounded yam with bitter leaf soup on a daily basis.

 

At any rate, the proof  of the effectiveness of the poems is Obi Nwakanma's evisceration of the most accessible lines in the poems. Although he speaks and writes English, he claims he does not understand it. So he cannot see how drought may destroy crops, harden the earth into stone that the  rain-makers actually use for rain-making. It is not about whether rain-makers succeed in making rain but that they do try. Adversity does generate its anti-thesis in many human situations in the way that the baton,  gun butt and bayonet charges against Fela hurt him into song. The Fela poems were deliberately crafted in a self-aware form to demonstrate the linguistic conundrum in which Fela's music grew. I would have eaten my own head if I had failed to capture it as I  have done.

 

I should add that I deliberately used the language of the context of the poems, including the pidgin inserts, to locate the context.  Nwakanma's hasty presumption-as-literary-criticism, is actually no more than a market-placement for his kind of poetry which celebrates fluff without edifying. The Fela poems show that I opted for the language of serious everyday discourse from my very first poems. Those who measure the validity of the poems by what the masses are supposed to want, the same masses that they refuse to give the right kind of education, should eat their hearts out.  

 

I need to stress the point that I am a political poet who also writes other kinds of poetry. Including love poetry. I push values, not ideologies or slogans. I uphold the kind of everyday speech that deploys images and concepts which resonate with the subject matter and the impact anticipated. I have never been a voter for that rootless elegance which seeks to blanch out the reality of the time or place, in order to be fashionable, or culturally and politically correct. When I deploy archaisms, I do so with my eyes open in the same way that I do not run away from the morbid if it happens to describe proficiently an environment that evokes and lives it.

 

When, for instance, I use the word Lagos, as a verb, as in "lagosed", it is evidently licentious and was meant to be. Prove that it is not apt.  The truth is that Obi Nwakanma is not at home to the truth-value of even his own arguments. I am at home with mine whether in my Latin American poems. Or the poems written in and about Europe. If I am remembered as a poet who did not shy away from looking his world in the face, I would consider it a fair deal. I truly feel good that I have a Fela poem in every collection that I have published. It's been part of  a determined bid to capture the spirit of our times in the kind of language that I use in everyday discourse. 

 

No doubt, every poet chooses his diction and swims or sinks by it. Unknown to many, Obi Nwakanma is actually applying to me, but wrongly, a position I took on the recently announced 2017 NLNG Nigerian Prize for Literature. I argue that the winning entry is a stylistic dead end using the poetic diction of the eighteenth century that I would not like to present to the world as the model for Nigerian poetry in 2017. It is a buy-back of ancien regime poetic diction that, emulating Alexander Pope, would actually be quite a scandal if it strayed into the 'forcefield' of a contemporary European poet. It's the kind of poetry that describes a black person as going redder and redder as his anger rises. This is not my idea of a self-aware use of poetic diction. It is a mis-match. Obi Nwakanma thinks he is doing a similar spot critique of my poems  when he writes - what I really should quote at length: 

 

"And this is the problem with much

> of contemporary Nigeria poetry: it is stuck in the same

> language and manners that belong, more with the early to

> mid-twentieth century English,

>  than to the language of the moment, with its free,

> coruscating texture. Poetry, for it to shake the ground on

> which it walks, must revise and affect the manner and

> language of its era. These Odia's poems suck!"

 

This is a thoroughly illiterate opinion as anyone can tell who knows that, by pointing out the collections in which the poems are to be found, I was actually indicating that the poems were written in the sixties, seventies, eighties into the nineties of the last century. Couldnt he just have read what was presented instead of cooking up some fib about "the problem with much of contemporary Nigeria poetry?". How does writing poetry about the sixties in the language of the sixties, heightened for effect, become such a crime for someone who imagines that he is writing poetry in "the language of the moment, with its free, coruscating texture".  Translate: rootless poetry unrelated to time and place. Which shakes nothing. On the contrary, I do hope that when people want to know Nigeria, and what kind of poems were written in Nigeria in those decades, they would find my poetry true to, and perhaps, representative of,  the genre. In the 21st century, I write the kind of poetry that meets the way my circumstances hurt me into song. My circumstances are broad, covering the whole world, as anyone can tell who comes across the three collections in my HANDSHAKES ACROSS DIVISION.  I would wish that someday the poems will be acknowledged for bringing the world together in one fist. Those who wish to write the kind of poetry that aspires to be the automatic poetry of the whole world will actually never write the poetry of any part of the world - no matter how they luxuriate in what Obi Nwakanma calls "the language of the moment, with its free, coruscating texture". Because it coruscates, it is bound to be 'failed' poetry.  The language of Fela's times, uncovering and celebrating Fela's mystique, is a more momentous deal.

 

Otherwise, there is no unchanging, eternal, language of poetry.  The fashions and transient mannerisms, that Nwakanma appears over-committed to, happen to be too fluffily based on his 'coruscations'. Great literary cultures are not built on coruscations. To put it straight: it is the kind of poetry that Obi Nwakanma valorises that sucks! He proves it by refusing to acknowledge the language of the moment when he sees one. Rather than being a put-down of my poetry, as he thinks, his objections to aspects of the Fela and Guevara poems, actually elevate the poetry. Some other critic. 'Biko Agozino', wishes I should have rendered all of the poems in pidgin: "Instead of the mystery that Fela was the stoned rainmaker, he for say that Fela smoke Igbo". This is a deliberated non-interest in poetry, making it look like a distraction rather than the serious matter it is. It ought to be left severely alone, as a joke. Except that it is a joker's equivalent of Nwakanma's assumption that the philosophy of what poetry does or should do, is itself a function of 'coruscations'.

 

Poetry, I dare say, is not just private communication; no matter what post-modernist argon you go by.  It is also a public voice. Reaching only for the pleasures of the senses to the chagrin of the intellect is not part of its bargain.  Those who do not agree are writing so much love poetry, these days, that ring so untrue because so mannered. Believe me: I would never have written a line of poetry, if  it were merely a matter of doing 'coruscations' or daffodils without the casualities and Guernicas in a world so deranged

 

Odia Ofeimun


No comments:

Post a Comment

 
Vida de bombeiro Recipes Informatica Humor Jokes Mensagens Curiosity Saude Video Games Car Blog Animals Diario das Mensagens Eletronica Rei Jesus News Noticias da TV Artesanato Esportes Noticias Atuais Games Pets Career Religion Recreation Business Education Autos Academics Style Television Programming Motosport Humor News The Games Home Downs World News Internet Car Design Entertaimment Celebrities 1001 Games Doctor Pets Net Downs World Enter Jesus Variedade Mensagensr Android Rub Letras Dialogue cosmetics Genexus Car net Só Humor Curiosity Gifs Medical Female American Health Madeira Designer PPS Divertidas Estate Travel Estate Writing Computer Matilde Ocultos Matilde futebolcomnoticias girassol lettheworldturn topdigitalnet Bem amado enjohnny produceideas foodasticos cronicasdoimaginario downloadsdegraca compactandoletras newcuriosidades blogdoarmario arrozinhoii sonasol halfbakedtaters make-it-plain amatha