Sunday, February 1, 2015

USA Africa Dialogue Series - STAR INTERVIEW: There are no role models among present leaders —Prof. Sonaiya, KOWA Party presidential candidate



My People:

The interview below is for Ikhide "Towncrier" Ikheloa, who likes neither GEJ or GMB - and apparently neither himself - as President of Nigeria.  Her answers to questions are crisp and intelligent.

It is also to women out there who may be tired of voting for us men.  They should not do like the last time when only one vote was cast for that woman Mrs. Sarah Jubril  - her vote only - in a primary.  Come on!

And there you have it.


Bolaji Aluko
Shaking his head 

________________________________________________________


TRIBUNE
There are no role models among present leaders —Prof. Sonaiya, KOWA Party presidential candidate
 31.Jan.2015  DISQUS_COMMENTS  
Rate this item
(0 votes)

Fifty-nine-year-old Remi Sonaiya voluntarily retired from the Obafemi Awolowo University, Ile Ife, Osun State, as a professor of French and Applied Linguistics, after 30 years of service. In this interview, the presidential candidate of Kowa Party speaks on the reason she is contesting the seat of President Goodluck Jonathan on February 14. DARE ADEKANMBI brings excerpts:

Could you tell us about your journey with the KOWA Party?

The party was registered in 2009 and I joined it in 2010. I had been nursing the idea of running as president for about a year before then. Prior to finally disengaging from the university, I had been on what we call accumulated leave. Some friends who were aware of my desire to be actively involved in politics sent to me that there was a new party that had just been registered and that they were certain it was the kind of party I was looking for. That was how I contacted the person whose name they gave me. I began to participate in their activities and got elected actually as the Public Relations Officer of the party.

You retired from the academia because of politics. Do people who know this ask you if the step you have taken is worth it?

The point at which I retired from the university was the point at which the university teachers began to earn a decent salary. We had earned pittance for a long time and like our union, the Academic Staff Union of Universities (ASUU), rightly said, our take-home pay could not take us home then. By 2010, things were considerably better and that was the point at which I said bye-bye to the university. People wondered what was wrong with me when I took the decision. Maybe people thought I was a bit crazy then.

People are used to it now. Initially they might think I would quickly rush back or go to another university. In fact, I got a lot of invitations from many universities. I told them I was not looking to join another university. I told them I liked Ife and wasn't looking for another university job. I knew exactly what I wanted and that is what I am doing right now.

Now that you are fully into politics, do you miss the academic life?

Not yet, because I have not yet achieved what I came into politics to do until I see Nigeria make a U-turn and begin to restore the lost glory.

Considering the domination of the political space in Nigeria by men, do you think the country is ready for a female president?

Absolutely. And I believe that there is no way you would know that Nigeria is ready until somebody like me comes out and then it happens. Then you will realise that we are ready. I believe that we are ready.

And you are sure you are the female president the country needs?

I have not seen any other person come out, so, I go with myself.

Do you feel Nigerians are ready for change in the way they are governed?

Yes, Nigerians have to be ready for change. Nobody really likes to suffer this much and that is why I am in the presidential race. More so, can Nigeria be going through this hard times and not want a change? If they are not ready, it means they are not ready for 24 hours uninterrupted electricity; they don't want water running through their taps; they are not ready to have better education for their children.

Are you saying a woman will do it differently?

I am a woman and I know what a woman can do. This is my personal conviction. Why has it been impossible so far? I do not know. I do not know whether it is the fact that there were men but I think so. But, was there the willingness to do it or compassion in the hearts of the people to say that enough is enough and we need someone else to do it?

How differently will you do it from the way men have been doing it?

I am a hardworking person and I care what happens to people. I could not agree with myself living in incredible opulence and luxury, knowing that many among the citizens are living in poverty. It will definitely cause me a sleepless night. So, I have got to do things differently.

 How convenient is it standing amidst men jostling for the seat?

I believe each of us is going on with the campaign in the way we believe in. I am carrying on my campaign with my personal conviction. So, it is left for Nigerians to see who, among the candidates, speaks to their hearts more. But, I believe after my campaigns, Nigerians will be able to say 'let us give this woman a chance.'

Have you reckoned it is a rigorous exercise?

Nothing good comes easy. I have learnt that during my days in the university. And like they say, no pains, no gains. I am used to working hard.

We know there are two strong candidates - President Goodluck Jonathan and Major-General Muhammadu Buhari (rtd). What is your perception of these men?

I do not wish to comment on them. I think focus has been on the two of them, whereas we have others who are contesting for the same position. So, it will be a great disservice if we are not focusing on others.

Have you spoken to both or either of them before now?

No. We just shook hands when we signed the peace pact against violence in Abuja. That was the closest I ever got to them.

When next you get close to the president, is there a question you will like to ask him?

I am not sure. However, there is something I would like to say to him because he asked me for copies of some of the books I have written on the Nigerian and African situations. At the event where he asked me in Abuja, I had given some copies to Professor Kofi Annan, who was sitting next to the president. Then, the president said oh! How about mine? So, I am going to give him his own copies and I will say to him, 'here are the copies of books I promised you.'

But you had a very different view during the signing of the peace pact?

It was not a different view about the peace pact but a different view about the gathering because I felt ashamed that we had gathered not only ourselves, but international community to come and witness it. So, I could not have my way to say this gathering does not do us proud.

Was it that you felt our democracy should have grown beyond that?  

Certainly, and I don't know why it doesn't seem to bother us much. We are the most populous black nation in the world. So, whatever we do reflects on other black nations all over the world. It is one of the issues dear to my heart that the black race should be given some dignity and pride. So, that day, I was feeling pretty sad that we were in front of the entire world saying we can't conduct elections ourselves.

Do you mean the peace pact will not translate to the eradication of pockets of violence we normally have during elections in Nigeria?

It depends on the people. I mentioned at the meeting that KOWA Party has never been violent. I agree that we have never participated in too many elections, but violence doesn't figure in our way of doing things. So, let those who practise violence stop it and stop giving us a bad name.

Knowing that our political firmament seems filled with party clash internally and externally, do you wish to stay in such a firmament for too long?

Somebody has got to do it. Good people must join to bring about a change to the political firmament you have mentioned. I am saying we can change and that is why I am in the race.

But are you not scared that those you are jostling with are advocates of do-or-die politics?

I am absolutely not scared. It paralyses to be scared. If you are scared, you will not be able to achieve anything. The worst that can happen to a person is that they die. And have people not died before?

Are you saying you are ready to die for Nigeria?

Absolutely! I am ready.

How many states do you hope to cover before the election?

As many as I am able to cover.  I do not feel a pressure on me about the race because it takes a lot of money and it is as I get money that I will spend it.

Do you agree that in the presidential race, the KOWA Party is a relatively small party with no representation at the National Assembly?

Yes. Miracles do happen. Do you know that? There have been people who came distant second, who suddenly find themselves in positions or elected because there were disqualifications. I am not saying that is going to happen, but I am saying that the outcome of the election is not known to anybody. So, what is important for now is for KOWA Party's message of hope to go out - a message that if Nigerians are truly and really interested in change, KOWA is change. Voting for people there before is not change. Everybody is clamouring for change; what does change mean? So, if we continue doing the same thing, is that change?  

How have your campaigns been?

My campaigns have not been going on in the way Nigerians expect. I do not have a private jet sitting on the tarmac waiting to jet me around the country. So, I am doing my campaign my own way. It takes a lot of money to campaign in Nigeria and it is as I get money that I will spend it. At least, I will cover all the geo-political zones in the country. The message is going out to Nigerians on the electronic and print media and social media and that is the most crucial thing.

What happens to your political career if you do not win the election?

Wait till I get to that point and then I will see what I will do.

If Nigerians don't vote for you now, would you accept a ministerial position from the party that wins?

It depends on the party that wins and a lot of other things. I was invited to join other parties, but I chose the one where the values and principles that I cherish are. Let me squarely face what I am doing at the moment. What happens after February 14, God will take care of it.

Do you think INEC is ready for the elections?

I don't work in INEC and so I do not know what their state of preparedness is. It is what they tell us that we know. However, I hope that they will be ready and not disappoint us. I hope they will get those PVCs out and distribute to Nigerians, even if it means they have to work overnight. Somebody even suggested that the Federal Government should declare public holidays so that people who work Monday to Friday will be able to obtain their PVCs. If INEC will have to open their offices Saturdays and Sundays, let them do so. There is no point in disenfranchising Nigerians in the February elections, as long as they are properly registered.

From what you can see, do you expect to see a considerably free and fair election in February?

I hope so. INEC has made some progress in the elections held in recent times and I believe that there is a will to do it. Listening to Professor Attahiru Jega in Abuja recently, I felt there was a desire in him to give us credible elections.

Do you have leaders, past and present, in this country that you look up to as models in exemplary leadership?

Chief Obafemi Awolowo is my favourite. But from among the current leaders, I am afraid I will pass on that question. But if we are talking about leaders outside the country, especially female leaders, there are. We have female presidents who have come out to stand for progress and put their energy into working. So, I admire them and they are a source of inspiration certainly.

_________________________________________________________

--
Listserv moderated by Toyin Falola, University of Texas at Austin
To post to this group, send an email to USAAfricaDialogue@googlegroups.com
To subscribe to this group, send an email to USAAfricaDialogue+subscribe@googlegroups.com
Current archives at http://groups.google.com/group/USAAfricaDialogue
Early archives at http://www.utexas.edu/conferences/africa/ads/index.html
---
You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups "USA Africa Dialogue Series" group.
To unsubscribe from this group and stop receiving emails from it, send an email to usaafricadialogue+unsubscribe@googlegroups.com.
For more options, visit https://groups.google.com/d/optout.

No comments:

Post a Comment

 
Vida de bombeiro Recipes Informatica Humor Jokes Mensagens Curiosity Saude Video Games Car Blog Animals Diario das Mensagens Eletronica Rei Jesus News Noticias da TV Artesanato Esportes Noticias Atuais Games Pets Career Religion Recreation Business Education Autos Academics Style Television Programming Motosport Humor News The Games Home Downs World News Internet Car Design Entertaimment Celebrities 1001 Games Doctor Pets Net Downs World Enter Jesus Variedade Mensagensr Android Rub Letras Dialogue cosmetics Genexus Car net Só Humor Curiosity Gifs Medical Female American Health Madeira Designer PPS Divertidas Estate Travel Estate Writing Computer Matilde Ocultos Matilde futebolcomnoticias girassol lettheworldturn topdigitalnet Bem amado enjohnny produceideas foodasticos cronicasdoimaginario downloadsdegraca compactandoletras newcuriosidades blogdoarmario arrozinhoii sonasol halfbakedtaters make-it-plain amatha